The Honolulu Fire Department (HFD) received a 911 call at 1:16 p.m. this afternoon for
an injured hiker on the Waahila Ridge Trail. Five HFD units, staffed with approximately
16 personnel, responded. The first unit arrived at the scene at 1:18 p.m., established
command and deployed an engine company to secure a landing zone at Kanewai Park.
An 17-year-old female was hiking with her father when she injured her back after
slipping and falling on the muddy trail. HFD personnel made their way on foot and
discovered that the patient was able to extricate with assistance. Patient care was
transferred to Emergency Medical Services at 2:04 p.m. No other injuries were reported
for this incident.
Hiking Safety Tips:
● Bring a cell phone, which can be a lifesaver during an emergency. Ensure that
your battery is full prior to your hike. We recommend packing an external back-up
● Pack Food (Snacks) and Water
● Stay hydrated and prepare for the unexpected.
● Know your physical abilities and limitations; select trails that can be enjoyed
● Most accidents happen when hikers leave the established trail and disregard
warning signs. Staying on the trail greatly reduces your chances of getting injured