The Honolulu Fire Department (HFD) received a 911 call today at 7:54 p.m. for a building fire at 41-1441 Kuhimana Street in Waimanalo. Eleven resource units, staffed with approximately 33 personnel, responded to the fire. The first unit arrived at 8:02 p.m. to find a single-story, residential structure with heavy black smoke and flames coming from all four sides. HFD crews were notified that all of the occupants had exited the structure.
Fire-fighting tactics included establishment of command, initiating a defensive fire attack, and protecting nearby homes with hose lines. During fire-fighting efforts, there was a partial collapse of the structure. Downed power lines made access to the structure challenging, but the fire was quickly brought under control at 8:24 p.m. HFD crews entered the structure to perform overhaul tactics and search for hidden fire and smoldering areas to prevent rekindling. Fire was extinguished at 9:27 p.m. American Red Cross was called to assist with a displaced family of three.
The HFD’s Fire Investigator was called to the scene to initiate an investigation to determine the origin and cause of the fire. There are no damage estimates at this time.
Fire Safety Tips:
- Working smoke alarms save lives, cutting the risk of dying in a home fire in half. Smoke alarms should be installed and maintained in every home.
- Home fire sprinklers protect lives by keeping fires small. Sprinklers can reduce the heat, flames, and smoke produced in a fire, allowing people more time to escape.
- A home fire sprinkler can control or put out a fire with a fraction of the water that would be used by fire department hoses.
- Make a home escape plan. Draw a map of each level of the home. Show all doors and windows. Go to each room and point to the two ways out. Practice the plan with everyone in your household, including visitors.
- Children, older adults, and people with disabilities may need assistance to wake up and get out. Make sure that someone will help them.
- Teach your children how to escape on their own in case you cannot help them. Make sure they can open windows, remove screens, and unlock doors.